Tips and Tricks from Cambodia

September 13, 2012

Should a Company Announce the Result to All Applicants?


There are thousands of companies in Cambodia, but not all of them have Human Resource Department (HRD) as some are so small and don't want to spend money on HR staff. Without HRD, some of the HR tasks are left to administrative staff to control the employees which I think is horrible. Some companies are equipped with HRD, but still the way they act is not so friendly to the staff or staff-to-be. For the word staff-to-be here, I mean those who wish to work there or already applied a job application and in the process of waiting for their HR staff's mercy to inform even if they could not make it. 


There are many ways that I consider as unfriendly or not so welcoming for those companies or institutions. First, they never respond to your e-mail no matter what you ask; yet they consider themselves as a professional. If I'm not wrong, they are the one who typed their e-mail in the job announcement in newspaper. Second, they will never let you know when you happen to fail the interview. Here I mean you might spend a couple of weeks checking your email curiously and hell they stay calm as water.



From that, I could feel how selfish and arrogant those HR staff are. They only care about the company's benefit by informing the successful candidate, leaving out others and they are simply lazy to inform as they consider it useless.    


However, not all of the institutions are bad, I had a very good experience with the HRD in DFDL Legal & Services for its standard Human Resource management. I remember they were so friendly with the recruitment process. First, I did not see any advertisement for the recruitment of Legal Assistant. They did post it over the internet - job classifieds in major recruitment agency website. However, I was unaware of that, but I had uploaded my CV to DFDL server. Later, I was informed via email that DFDL received my email and it will be kept in their database for job opportunity. A week after, I was contacted by its HR whether I am interested in the position available at DFDL. I went for the interview, but I did not make it. A week later, I was informed that I could not make to the second interview; and therefore, they would keep my data in their server for later opportunity. I think this is the coolest HR I have ever encountered. 


In short, I do hope that any other companies could do the same - value other's time. No one should be left ignoring and assume that they fail. That's not how a professional HR staff do! You know what assume actually means? It actually stands for ass + u + me, that means when you assume someone has done something wrong, you actually make an ass of you and him. Things don't work out that way, right? If I happen to own a company, I would definitely follow DFDL management style such as follows:

1. Inform the candidates after the company has received the application - some people might misspell the targeting email address, and they will never know if you have already received. If you are not that hardworking, you may set an auto-response which only takes a couple of minutes.

2. Include the salary that you may provide in the announcement. You may consider it not professional, but again think about the time a candidate has to ask for permission from their current workplace for your probably-less-pay interview. If things are clear, it will help your company as well as some of them don't have to come and surprise with what you've gotta give them. Oh, by the way, there are some organizations which pay interviewee 10$ per interview! I do remember it. Well, I do not expect all of the companies to do so. So, please just state your salary in the announcement.

3. Inform those who fail the interview as well. Do not leave out anyone. I call it "Respect" and "Professional" because there is an accountability in there.

That's it from me. Criticisms and Suggestions are welcome in the comment box below :)


No comments:

Post a Comment