Tips and Tricks from Cambodia

February 2, 2013

Network Marketing and What I Hate About It

According to Wikipedia,
Multi-level marketing (MLM) is a marketing strategy in which the sales force is compensated not only for sales they personally generate, but also for the sales of the other salespeople that they recruit. This recruited sales force is referred to as the participant's "downline", and can provide multiple levels of compensation. Other terms for MLM include pyramid selling, network marketing, and referral marketing.
Most commonly, the salespeople are expected to sell products directly to consumers by means of relationship referrals and word of mouth marketing.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing


In Cambodia, MLM is often called Network Marketing. Some people do not know what it means by the term Network Marketing as they are not familiar with the term and do not even know that they are being in the game, what they know is that they could make a lot of money without much effort.

Are we clear with the definition? :) Let's go to the next part. I am going to share what I have experienced, not what you might have heard of in any books or elsewhere. Thus, please excuse me and bear with my personal idea regarding MLM.

Network Marketing Process in Cambodia:
The top level tries to gather people through holding a workshop to explain about the benefits of MLM with very little focus on the quality of the product they sell, and will tell you a lot of successful stories; for example, some people could make 50,000 USD per month, some starters could earn 2,000 USD per week and stuff. Some people might be inspired and register to be a member immediately through paying a hundred dollars or so. However, some who are smart enough to doubt about the quality and understand that it is not easy to get the money as others expected; and what is even smarter, they do not spend a hundred of dollar on the product they have heard for the very first time - and do not know about the origin of the company, never heard even a bit of it.  Blah! I treat them as smart people.

How are you going to get more members in order to boost your sales? You may approach your friends, family, and relatives so that they can become your distributors. You are not sure of the quality, but since you are so much absorbed into it. You go advertise so that you could grow more network; all you need is distributors, a lot of them. After your friends realize that the product should not be that expensive and is not as good as they were told - they hate you.

MLM of medicine, for example, the top level might brings a few types of medicine and explain the benefits of them; after the presentation, he would ask you to try buy some; and those are not cheap. They would dare you to try it. Only if it works well with you that you should distribute. That's what you might be told. Sound nice, eh? All you could hear is easy-incoming money.

What I really hate about the idea of MLM is that in Cambodia. Friends who are so much absorbed into it do not want to tell you what they are doing. They suddenly drag you to hear what you do not want to spend a single minute on it.

For example, a classmate who took a Master degree in Public Administration with me gave me a call and told me there was an opportunity to make a lot of money in a month. I did seek for the reason, but he could not help but told me to attend a workshop. Later, I asked another classmate who attended the workshop which was informed by the same guy. He said the speakers advertised about a type of medicine which would work with many types of diseases. He was promoting more distributors. Distributors would get a lot of benefits as he could make a lot of commission without having to do anything. Just sit still and the money will grow.

After knowing what it is about, I immediately gave the guy a call and told him I am not interested. 

Lately, another friend told me that there would be a translation business and I might get a loyal client. First, she posted a comment on my Translation Ad that she might introduce me to her CEO and stuff. We agreed that we would meet at some points. One day, I went to meet her at her shop as she said she would be available to talk at that time. What I do not understand is why we can't talk on the phone when she has nothing for me to translate at the time being, I went there anyway. We spent a couple of seconds to talk about translation and lots more to drag me into MLM.

Later, I got back home, we chatted and I told her it is beyond my business scope. I want to focus on my 8 hours work and translation. Then, I also told her if her CEO is going to introduce me to MLM, not straight to Translation; then, we do not have to meet. The answer is there! She responded if I think so, then there is no need to meet. All in all, her CEO is about to spread the sermons as well.

Moreover, the price of the products that you purchase are double or triple higher than the regular price after three or four layers distributors. :D

I would call that kind of activities deceitful. 

Victims: 
The possible victims are provincial people, older generation, uneducated people, and greedy people.


I do not suggest any of my readers try that Network Marketing. Money never comes easy. Even if it does, it will spoil you. You are supposed to earn it tough. Never do the gold digging!

All I hope now is that those who are involved in MLM bring a lot of quality products, not just to cheat through network down the line.

   

47 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience about the MLM. I would like to share this info with my friends and others who are so absorbed into this kind of business. And I want them to aware of it. Anyway, sorry that i alr shared without getting your acknowledgment in advance.

    Thank again for your kind sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sopheak, thanks for spending your time to read and comment here.

      It's free to share. There is no need to ask for acknowledgement. You shared the link. More people would know about my blog; that's what I want as well.

      You take care.

      Delete
    2. Hi Vuthychour..I am Mr Mohiyuddin from Malaysia..will be coming to Phnom Penh on 9/20/2015 ..I wish to meet you and be my Cambodian friend..how could I contact you?

      Delete
    3. Hi Vuthychour..I am Mr Mohiyuddin from Malaysia..will be coming to Phnom Penh on 9/20/2015 ..I wish to meet you and be my Cambodian friend..how could I contact you?

      Delete
  2. Good day Dear Mr. Vuthy,

    I have enjoyed reading your good text pertaining to the MLM in Cambodia.

    As much as I understood and agreed with your good understanding about the ploy of such MLM companies bringing in sub-standard products especially health or nutrition supplements, plainly these companies need such sub-standard products not only to deceive the publi but also to enjoy an average mark-up profits of about 6 to 7 times the costs of such sub-standard products.

    Recently, there is one MLM company called 'What City' located along MOnivong Blvd, Cambodia. This MLM company even invited top political VVIPs to join in that company events.

    The 'What City' MLM company is so so desperate that, its leaders trained all its downline distributors to cheat the public by providing a 'Guarantee after 90 days' just use its health supplements and do away any medical prescribed medication for Chronic Diabetes patients.

    This desperate act will clearly destroy the HOPE of chronic diabetic Cambodians because without medical doctors' precribed medication, the health status of these poor deceived chronic diabetics will suffer more and worst health implications to come.

    Why these chronic diabetic Cambodians' health status will worsen because the products of that 'What City' do not have any proven health records that are verified by the patients' blood test reports.

    Sadly to mention, one of the Directors of that 'What City' MLM company is a top officer in the Ministry Of Health, Cambodia. And its handbook was design and complied by one irresponsible doctor and lecturer in IU, Cambodia.

    Cambodia is one of the Member of the ASEAN Health Congress, but its Ministry Of Health has lax its lawful enforcement, thus allowing such irresponsible MLM companies to continue cheating the Hope of fellow Cambodians and to rob them of their only wealth....that is Health.

    Thank you Mr. Vuthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and sharing your precious idea regarding Unicity :D, to be precise.

      That means a lot to other fellow readers.

      Anyway, I have just seen your comment following your call this morning.

      Delete
    2. Mr. Vuthy, you did not get inside and watch from the outside and pre-judge the business from your feeling, why do not you take a moment to think? not use your feeling, use your brain to think. pl go to my website to verify and understand more about MLM.''

      regards,

      Delete
  3. hi, I am one of person who is in network marketing era. I do enjoy read your post, but do you really think network marketing is scam or useless?

    it does have bad and good one. The only company which can help you is the company that is good, reputable, and international corporation. A company that has good record with DSA.org.

    The think is that network marketing is not an easy rich quick scheme, but if you are working hard after 4 or 6 months, you will see result. Do you know why people quitting from network after 1 or 2 months? Because it is like walking a long a street with people who are waiting to hit you one after another.

    No body can force us to join, but us by itself who see the result and want it to be like the successful people but can't take responsible go forward to get the dream. People like to quit in the middle of the road.

    Here is an idea to be a successful or core leader! It doesn't mean people joining network is bad but the result should prove. You said you hate it, but did you really put yourself to explore the MLM world yet? You said you just heard a friend said it is bad and your mind already thought it was bad already.

    It is my recommendation, if you want to be successful in life, you need to learn to open your mind a little bit more to learn or get to know more about stuffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your idea. I could see successful people from MLM as well. Those people could earn a lot of money. However, the way BAD PEOPLE dragged people to MLM is horrible. At least, admit that. It is somehow annoying.


      Delete
    2. Hi Vuthy:
      Have you ever experience in the MLM business before?
      or you just hearsay?
      study more and express your opinion better visit this http://www.explorefreedom.com/searphat

      Network Marketing helping people to get out the most out from people life.

      visit the website above and i am sure you will not spread bad opinion about other people business.

      regards,
      Sophal
      Richdad coaching graduate

      Delete
    3. Kiyosaki didn't write about MLM alone. So, that's not the only way to get rich. Stay calm. Let me do it my way.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. netowrk marketing is not qualify for poor people or old people with poor-mindset. to learn more how network marketing work for you or not just visit http://www.explorefreedom.com/searphat

    enjoy the discovering and define the fact vs. opinion.

    Regards,
    Sophal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have right to say what they believe in. It is all about opinion. You have yours, I have mine.

      Maybe because I have bad experience with MLM that's the part I want to share. Maybe you have good experience with MLM, so you want to share.

      Thanks for sharing another side of the story.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your post, I searched about more infos about MLM in Cambodia. some friends brought this to me now. Your post helping me to many choices of thinking to do this kind of Job.

    Thanks bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samnang, you're welcome; and thanks for reading my blog post.

      Delete
    2. Hello I am Mr mohiyuddin.from Malaysia. I will be coming to Phnom Penh on 9/10/2015..is it possible for us to meet somewhere to discuss on business opportunities

      Delete
    3. Hello I am Mr mohiyuddin.from Malaysia. I will be coming to Phnom Penh on 9/10/2015..is it possible for us to meet somewhere to discuss on business opportunities

      Delete
  6. I really glad to invite all of you to join my Plan Showing Project ! We can make a discussion about it. YOU can contact me 015 35 47 91

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Anonymous. I'd like to join with you, please give your contact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mr. Vuthy,

    For MlM in Cambodia, do we need license or not?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Guy! That is a good idea, but I have one of my relative joined this team for 2 moths ago. And I really unhappy and not found at all about this. I want her to stop this activities. So how can I do? Can you help to give me some idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think let her lose some money, she will stop by herself :)

      Delete
    2. Hope and wishes good things unto others please..no offense brother

      Delete
    3. Too kind to let your friends die by being so polite, I better use the offense words as I love my friends.

      Delete
  10. Get the right ethical company, marketing plan the right coaching global opportunities.good track record.The product must be authentic and a variety of choice.This business has help a lot of commoners to be rich in monetary and a wisdom as this business is about people to people..its not easy but it can be done...s lot will stop halfway because it takes perseverance... I hail from Malaysia.. We too face the same experience when networking business first came round the corner...Malaysia is just a small country ..the networking must go global..Get the right leaders for coaching..learn the business.. It's for our own good. Do not blame the business because human beings are sometime worst than animals..you are what you think you are..complaining won't help..just complain yourself for failure or even success its you that matters..I hope the Cambodian will be successful in their business endeavor inclusive of networking.. Good leaders attract hood outcome..good company in unison with the business ethic will stay and flourish.. Join the success and it is our birthright..love from me..Mohiyuddin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get the right ethical company, marketing plan the right coaching global opportunities.good track record.The product must be authentic and a variety of choice.This business has help a lot of commoners to be rich in monetary and a wisdom as this business is about people to people..its not easy but it can be done...s lot will stop halfway because it takes perseverance... I hail from Malaysia.. We too face the same experience when networking business first came round the corner...Malaysia is just a small country ..the networking must go global..Get the right leaders for coaching..learn the business.. It's for our own good. Do not blame the business because human beings are sometime worst than animals..you are what you think you are..complaining won't help..just complain yourself for failure or even success its you that matters..I hope the Cambodian will be successful in their business endeavor inclusive of networking.. Good leaders attract hood outcome..good company in unison with the business ethic will stay and flourish.. Join the success and it is our birthright..love from me..Mohiyuddin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks you so much bro for posting this wonderful knowledge. But now I am very worried about my friends, for they very absorb to thIs way of earning money. And now I also need more prove to show them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Show him concrete case. Or let him search youtube about MLM.

      Delete
  13. All these schemes have one in common, the distribution of completely(!) useless, overprized products to make some few rich. Best examples are food supplements, diet pills and vitamins, such as the product line of UniCity (Utah), a company that spreads over poor Asian countries like a cirrhotic carcinoma. Up to now there is not ONE prospective, randomized, double-blinded study with adequate statistical power, a running-time of several years and reliable endpoints, such as mortality about any of these products, proving the claimed effect. I know what I’m talking about, as I checked the so called references thoroughly. The FDA didn't even bother to evaluate. The companies are forced by law to state that their products cannot replace medicaments, though that's exactly what the advertising suggests for diabetes, dyslipidemia, and overweight, to name some few. As mentioned above, distributers are lured in the business by the success stories of some few; the events of Uni Power (UniCity) here in Bangkok with thousands of enthusiastic participants are pure mass hysteria banking on one of humans’ major characteristic: greed. For the right money even scientists, doctors, PhDs and similar give rave reviews about the miraculous effect of green tea capsules, diet pills, ‘cardiac metabolites’ and other bullshit. I fully agree with the OP, joining them you are doing an unethical business, distributing products nobody needs, and one day many of your friend will hate you. Stay away if you want to keep self-respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so speaking my mind! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  14. 1) should understand definitions of
    M is multi
    L is Level
    M is marketing
    2) why do people arround the world do
    multilevel marketing?
    3) mlm is not medicine. You should
    understand the differences between
    - Pharmaceutical, what is it?
    - nutraceutical, what is it?
    - genoceutical, what is it?
    4) should understand what is Physician
    Desk Reference (PDR) and FDA
    5) MLM is not one day rich.
    6) MLM is not for salary like
    employee. Need understand ESBI.
    7) MLM is rely on how big your team
    but how strong your team.

    8) note: we know durian is kind of nice smell and yummy fruit right? But some consider as bad headached smell friut agree?
    Another quote
    Even instance noodles is easy and convinient to eat but remenber the easy thing also has different quality of taste too which defends on how hot or cold the water is.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you explaint me more about MLM? How about Unicity company?

      Delete
  15. Thanks so much for your writing as I am finding this kind to share. Why? Many people around me became victims of these kinds, and a few are still killing themselves in that stupid system. I believe in money from my own effort not from the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. The MLM makes people dream of easy money, and I find it okay to dream of easy money, but what they do is to lie to people because they don't know the quality of the products they are selling, but since they get the commission from the pyramid scheme, they lie to the others.

      Delete
    2. But if the product quality is good so what do you think? If the product quality not good they just stand by short time. By the way if the product good it is the best way for doing MLM

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who removed? I did not remove your comment :D

      Delete
  17. Excellent website you have here: so much cool information!.. Multiple Streams of income

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, great US Military force. Also, in his post you have given a chance to listen about US Military. I really appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing it. digital marketing

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is exciting, nevertheless it is vital for you to visit this specific url:
    mason soiza

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi ,
    I am always thankful for the informative posts that you share.
    I have been following your blog for a long time and this time I got something that I was looking for.
    Thanks for the great share.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete